By Leo Pollard
-
The door was there when I first moved into the house.
Not
hidden. Not boarded shut. Just a plain wooden door at the end of the upstairs
hallway, painted the same off-white as the walls around it. The realtor never
mentioned it, and I never thought to ask. Houses have doors. That seemed
explanation enough.
I
noticed it was locked on the third night.
At
first, I assumed the previous owners had misplaced the key somewhere in the
move. I checked the kitchen drawers, the bathroom cabinets, the little ceramic
bowl by the front entrance where people leave things they’re afraid to forget.
Nothing.
After
a week, I called a locksmith.
He
spent an hour kneeling in front of the handle with tiny metal tools spread
across the carpet beside him. Every few minutes he’d mutter under his breath,
lean closer to the lock, then start over again.
Finally,
he stood up and said, “That’s strange.”
“What
is?”
He
frowned at the door like it had insulted him personally. “It doesn’t feel
locked.”
The
locksmith couldn’t explain what he meant by that. Just that it “doesn’t feel
like it has a lock.” But he agreed that the door was locked. Somehow.
I
considered smashing the door down. Just taking a hammer and breaking down the
wood. My family said that was a bad idea, something about how I could damage
the walls or worse.
Instead,
I bought a bookshelf and pushed it in front of the door. Not to hide it. I told
myself it made the hallway feel more like mine. On the bookshelf I put memories
of my life. Pictures of my family and friends and pets. A little blue seashell
I found on the beach with my dad before he passed away. An old journal I wrote
in once and never touched again. I kept adding to it over the years. Ticket
stubs. Birthday cards. Things people gave me that I didn’t have the heart to
throw away.
Sometimes
I’d stand there longer than I meant to, straightening a frame that wasn’t
crooked, dusting a shelf that didn’t need it.
I
never moved the bookshelf.
After
a while, I stopped thinking about what was behind it.
Visitors
never noticed unless they stayed long enough to wander upstairs.
“What’s
behind there?” they’d ask, usually casual, like they were pointing out a
crooked picture frame.
“Storage,”
I’d say at first. Later, when I got tired of lying: “I lost the key years ago.”
People accepted that answer more easily than I expected.
Years
passed. I opened all twenty-two of the other doors in my house, explored every
nook and cranny, learned more about that house than I knew about myself. Twenty
years came and went without the locked door changing at all.
Then
I met someone.
She
was different from most people I knew. Professional, but easygoing. Calm and
collected. Patient, even when I wasn’t. Once a week we sat together and talked.
Mostly about small things at first. Work. Grocery lists. Weather. The kind of
conversations people have when they’re carefully walking around something
sharp.
She
never pushed me toward the door.
I
think that’s why I kept coming back.
It
started small. Just an offhand comment I made about someone I used to know.
Someone who wasn’t very good for me. She didn’t ask for names or details. She
just listened to me.
The
next time I saw her, I said a little more. I didn’t remember everything that
happened, just bits and pieces, really, but I remembered enough. When I was
done, she was quiet for a long time. Finally, she just said six words, “I’m
sorry that happened to you.”
That
night, I noticed the bookshelf had shifted.
Only
slightly. Barely an inch, maybe less, but enough for me to see the edge of the
door behind it.
I
stood there for a long time staring at the gap. Then I pushed the shelf back
into place and went to bed.
The
next week, I told her about the journal.
Not
what was inside it. I wasn’t ready for that yet. Just that it existed. That I
used to write things down because I was afraid that if I didn’t, I’d forget
them. Or maybe because I was afraid I was imagining things.
When
I got home, the hallway smelled faintly of dust and old wood.
The
bookshelf had moved again.
It
wasn’t easy talking to her. Some weeks I just couldn’t find the words. Other
weeks I didn’t want to find the words.
Sometimes
we sat in silence longer than we talked.
I
kept expecting her to become frustrated with me. To tell me we were going in
circles. To look at me the way people look at broken things they don’t know how
to fix. Or maybe to tell me I was making it all up.
She
never did.
Little
by little, I started telling her about the house.
Not
everything. Never everything at once. Just small things. The locked door
upstairs. The bookshelf in the hallway. The way the wood sometimes creaked at
night, like the house was settling around something it could no longer hold.
She
listened to that too.
One
evening, after a particularly long conversation, I came home exhausted and
dropped my keys on the kitchen counter.
A
small brass key fell beside them.
I
stared at it for a long time.
It
wasn’t one of mine. My keys were silver and worn smooth from years in my
pocket. This one looked older. The brass was dull in some places and bright in
others, like it had been handled countless times and forgotten just as often.
I
remember laughing. Not because it was funny, but because it felt ridiculous.
Twenty-one years of locksmiths and sleepless nights and avoiding the upstairs
hallway, and now a key simply appeared beside my grocery store rewards tag and
house keys.
I
picked it up anyway. It was warm.
For
the first time in years, I moved the bookshelf away from the door.
Dust
rose into the hallway air. The carpet beneath the shelf was a different color
than the rest of the floor, preserved from sunlight and footsteps. I hadn’t
realized how much time had passed until I saw the outline it left behind.
The
key fit perfectly into the lock, but I couldn’t turn it. Not yet, at least.
That’s what I told myself.
So
I left it there, hanging from the handle like the house itself was waiting for
me to come back.
I
talked about the key the next week. As always, she listened. Finally, she
asked, “Why do you want to open this door so badly? After all these years, why
now?” It took me a moment to answer.
“Because
I don’t know what’s changed. I don’t know why the key showed up now. Nothing
has changed.” She gave me a soft smile.
“Are
you sure nothing’s changed?”
I
didn’t have an answer for that.
But
that night, standing in the upstairs hallway, I realized she was right. Things
had changed.
Twenty-one
years ago, I would have broken the door down if someone had handed me the
chance. I would have demanded answers from whatever waited on the other side. I
wanted the door open because I hated it. Because it frightened me. Because I
thought I was supposed to conquer it.
Now,
with the key resting in the lock, I found myself afraid for a different reason.
I
wasn’t afraid of what was behind the door. I was afraid of what would happen if
I finally let myself see it.
The
next few weeks were harder than the ones before. Once the key appeared, it
became impossible to pretend the door wasn’t there.
I
started noticing it constantly. The shape of it at the end of the hallway. The
soft groan of the wood at night. The way my eyes drifted toward it whenever the
house became too quiet. And every week, I talked a little more.
Not
in order. The memories never came in order.
Some
arrived sharp and clear enough to make my chest hurt. Others came like
fragments of a dream — voices without faces, feelings without explanations,
entire years worn smooth around the edges. Sometimes I stopped halfway through
a sentence because saying things out loud made them feel too real. Sometimes
she waited through the silence with me.
The
key turned a little further each week. Not much, just enough for me to notice.
One
day, there was a click. Then another. Like something rusted shut for decades
was finally beginning to loosen.
One
evening, after I told her something I had sworn to I would never tell another
living person, I came home to find the upstairs hallway filled with the dusk
sunlight.
The
door was open a crack. Just enough for warm light to spill through the frame
and across the floorboards.
I
stood at the end of the hallway, unable to move. For a moment, I considered
turning around and leaving the house entirely. Pretending I hadn’t seen it.
Instead,
slowly, cautiously, I walked toward the door.
Each
step felt heavier than the last, like the hallway itself was asking me to
reconsider. When I reached it, I noticed something I hadn’t before.
The
door wasn’t just open. It had always been trying to open. The frame wasn’t
warped, exactly, but strained. Like something on the other side had been
pressing gently against it for years, never enough to break it, just enough to
remind it it could move.
My
hand hovered over the edge. For a long time, I didn’t touch it. I thought about
every time I had said I lost the key. Every time I had turned away instead of
looking longer. Every time I had filled silence with anything else just to
avoid this moment.
Behind
me, the house was quiet. Not empty. Just patient.
I
don’t know how long I stood there before I finally pushed. The door didn’t
swing open all at once. It gave, slowly, like something exhaling after holding
its breath for twenty-one years. And when it opened fully, there was no sound
at all.
Just
light. Warm, steady light that didn’t feel like the house at all.
I
stepped through. And all I felt was peace.
-
The door was there when I first moved into the house.
About the Author
Leo Pollard is a Health Careers student at ICC. They currently live in Washington, Illinois with their service dog and six other pets. They've been writing since 2014 and is an avid reader and writer, with hopes of publishing their own book one day.
