Thursday, August 20, 2026

Trampoline

 By Nishi Patel

-

I am soaring through the sky, higher and higher, and then a pause, before I hurtle back toward the black bed of a trampoline. My hands snap apart, my knees go sprawling, and giggles ripple through the air, because I, the best popcorn kernel, have been popped.


This was one of the first games that I played on my new trampoline.

 

It arrived in my garage one morning when I was eight. I begged and begged my father to open the box, and eventually, he did. What a day that was. All my neighbors came over to help build it at noon, whilst my friends and I watched. The house was bustling with activity: dads and older siblings worked on construction, children ran amok, and mothers offered reprimands. As I waited, I anxiously chewed my cheeks, recalling the horror stories and catastrophic injuries I had seen on YouTube. Once the net was installed, I sighed in relief, feeling much more comfortable as I climbed inside. When it was finally done, we jumped and jumped, propelling each other into a blossoming orange sky. How grateful I was for the net!

 

Every summer after, the trampoline seemed to be the only thing that pulled us from our screens. My house became a hub of sorts– people coming and going, leaving the doors open and my mother exasperated. My neighbors jumped whether I was home or not!

 

One summer, my neighbor, Suvasini, taught us a game called Mummies. It was a quiet day with no roughhousing, so my brother was allowed to join. I was chosen to be the first mummy, and she, along with our younger brothers, jumped around me chanting, “Mummy, mummy, close your eyes, count to five and come alive!” I chased after them, crashing into the net until I finally tagged someone.

 

My best friend, Rushi, and I played every summer. We would promise our parents we were working on summer homework, only to rush through it so we could run outside. We rode bikes for hours with whoever happened to be around. At her house, we ate mint chocolate chip ice cream and made slime. At mine, we ate Neapolitan and jumped on the trampoline. When the sun began to set, children of all ages gathered at my house. A favorite game seemed to be launching us younger kids into the air, which startled me so, but I obliged, happy to be included and whispering silent thanks to whoever installed the net around the perimeter of the trampoline.

 

Everything seemed to calm down as the leaves turned brown in the fall. The chatter subsided, the doors stayed closed, and my backyard was left barren as we all returned to school. These days were special because it was just my brother and me. He was still young enough then to obey my commands with little convincing. My personal favorite game was Close Your Eyes and Look at the Sun, coined by yours truly. It went like this: you closed your eyes and faced the sun, seeing red, soaking in the light, and letting it warm you while you pretended it wasn't too cold for a t-shirt. When my brother, bored and squeamish, could no longer sit still, I would announce, “Open your eyes!” and the world would be blue. When it faded away, we repeated the process. The magic of seeing the world doused in shades of blue never wore off, until it did. When this game ended, he begged me to help him land a front flip. I spent hours coaching him and taking countless action shots of him upside down.

  

Every winter seemed to test the trampoline's strength. We watched it dip dangerously low under the weight of every snowfall, but in the spring, it would bounce back without fail, ready for yet another summer.

 

The summer before sixth grade, my friend, Katy Barnhill, came over to watch the fireworks during the Fourth of July. Back then, they were set off at the VFW, only a little way from my house and clearly visible from my backyard. This was my very first time inviting a white friend from school over for a sleepover. I felt her hesitance as she walked through my house, hearing my grandfather mutter in another language and seeing foreign gods plastered on the walls. But her familiarity returned as soon as she saw the trampoline. Outside my house, we could be suburban kids, one and the same. We set up sprinklers beneath the trampoline, and the water sprayed through the bed, turning it into a slip-and-slide. We learned that the water made the trampoline much more springy, a wondrous discovery! We ran and jumped and slid, crashing into the net. Fireworks burst above us, for the last time before they moved to McAllen Park, and I paused to encapsulate the moment that I deemed a “normal” experience.

 

The summer melted away once more, and my brother and I returned to stare at the sun. I was adamant on basking in the last of the sunlight, while my brother wanted to stay in and watch Beyblades. After much convincing, I opened the gate only to be hit with the thickest smell of pumpkin waste I had ever experienced. I swallowed my pride, wrinkled my nose, and led him to the trampoline. Rather than be engulfed by sunlight, we were engulfed by the stench, almost warm in its thickness, and after a few minutes of suppressing gags, I let us go back inside and attach our faces to the television once again. The next day at school, someone said, “I hate living in Morton. The pumpkins smelled so bad yesterday!” I was absolutely buzzing with excitement as I slowly nodded my head in agreement.

 

The winter came, leaving the trampoline slightly weaker. On a particularly windy day in March, it blew onto our neighbor's roof. It was damaged further, and when it turned upright, the poles holding up the net were bent; some had even snapped. The net in question bore new, significant tears. We fixed it up, but the ordeal marked the beginning of its decay.

 

The summer before eighth grade, I hardly used it anymore; Rushi was in high school now, and I had a shiny new Snapchat account to occupy me. My brother and his friends were older now and had become absolute ruffians. Under their reign, the net was torn to shreds with multiple springs snapped, but miraculously, it survived to see another fall.

 

When the air chilled, my brother and I returned to the trampoline. This time, we set up slow-motion videos as he tried to land the backflip we had been chasing. I directed him carefully to rotate more and extend his legs. Finally, he landed it. As he cheered and hoorayed, landing one after the other, I smiled for him, ignoring the bittersweet feeling that often creeps in when you finally complete something you've been chipping away at for years.

 

That winter brought the most snow I had ever seen. Each day was precarious, as the trampoline slowly oscillated under the weight of the ice and snow. One morning, my brother burst into my room
, throwing pillows and shouting.


“Guess what! Guess what– the trampoline ripped!”

 

When the snow melted, the large tear running through the center of the trampoline became very apparent.

Feigning indifference, I turned to my father and asked, “Will we get a new one?”


He looked at me with genuine indifference and said, “You're too old to jump on a trampoline.”
  


And that was the end of that.




About the Author

Nishi Patel is a senior at Morton High School enrolled in Dual Credit Composition I. While not previously an avid writer, she has enjoyed creating several pieces in class and has grown significantly as a writer. She plans to attend the University of Illinois to study psychology. Outside of school, she enjoys collecting CDs, running, crocheting, and learning new instruments. In her free time, she plays guitar and explores the outdoors.

Featured Post

Table of Contents

  Volume V, Issue 2 August 2026 From the Editor   Artwork (visual) Scenery by Antonio Carranza Tail by Antonio Carranza Butt...