By Sophia Rosenberg
-
I moved here from the city slums,
Hoping to live a quiet life working at the orchard.
I was very shy, but I was very much in love
With the mayor’s daughter.
She had round, red cheeks like the apples I picked,
And golden hair the color of the trees during autumn.
I spent my youth competing with the local butcher for her affections,
Stupidly vying for her hand in marriage.
But he had a reputation with the women as some local Romeo,
And her mind had been made before I even came to town.
Why should I expect her to choose a poor fruit farmer?
The whole town was invited to their luxurious wedding.
And I too came, and left resentfully,
Wishing I had not wasted so many years chasing after her like a fool.
It was a pathetic waste of time and spirit,
For one can never be content unless the one he loves is also happy,
And she was happy with him, so I had to make peace with that.
I never did.
I died at only fifty-six,
Still a lonely bachelor, still a meager farmer
-
I moved here from the city slums,
Hoping to live a quiet life working at the orchard.
I was very shy, but I was very much in love
With the mayor’s daughter.
She had round, red cheeks like the apples I picked,
And golden hair the color of the trees during autumn.
I spent my youth competing with the local butcher for her affections,
Stupidly vying for her hand in marriage.
But he had a reputation with the women as some local Romeo,
And her mind had been made before I even came to town.
Why should I expect her to choose a poor fruit farmer?
The whole town was invited to their luxurious wedding.
And I too came, and left resentfully,
Wishing I had not wasted so many years chasing after her like a fool.
It was a pathetic waste of time and spirit,
For one can never be content unless the one he loves is also happy,
And she was happy with him, so I had to make peace with that.
I never did.
I died at only fifty-six,
Still a lonely bachelor, still a meager farmer
About the Author
Sophia Rosenberg is a first-year student at ICC who has loved writing since childhood. A devoted lover of the arts, she enjoys theatre, choir, writing, and both listening to and playing music. When she’s not at school, Sophia can often be found painting, gardening, or catching a good rock concert. Known for her fashionably overdressed style, she hopes to pursue a career as a dramaturg or translator.
Sophia Rosenberg is a first-year student at ICC who has loved writing since childhood. A devoted lover of the arts, she enjoys theatre, choir, writing, and both listening to and playing music. When she’s not at school, Sophia can often be found painting, gardening, or catching a good rock concert. Known for her fashionably overdressed style, she hopes to pursue a career as a dramaturg or translator.
