He was in it to win it,
And he was famous for his zeal.
He refused to quit,
The man known as Patrick O’Neill.
His friend said, “Pat, you’re nearly broke.
You’re gambling away all your finances!”
Pat laughed and took out a smoke.
“That’s why they call it the Capital of
Second Chances!
If I win, I’ll buy myself a lifetime supply
of Irish beer,
And I’ll buy you a sequin tux.”
He then grinned from ear to ear,
As he fed the slot machine his last hundred
bucks.
Pat cranked the lever hopefully,
With a glint of greed in his eyes.
“I doubt you’ll win this time,” his friend
said openly,
But they both prayed for a prize.
The machine read 7-7-7,
And Pat was taken aback.
He exclaimed, “I must be in heaven!”
But his friend just laughed and slapped his
back.
Pat had won three hundred grand—
He couldn’t believe it was real.
And so his new life began,
And he became known as “Jackpot” O’Neill
About the Author
Sophia Rosenberg is a first-year student at ICC who has loved writing since childhood. A devoted lover of the arts, she enjoys theatre, choir, writing, and both listening to and playing music. When she’s not at school, Sophia can often be found painting, gardening, or catching a good rock concert. Known for her fashionably overdressed style, she hopes to pursue a career as a dramaturg or translator.
